About This Course
With messages about COVID-related issues still flooding your inbox, broadcast on tv and argued over on social media, you are at an increased likelihood for anxiety, stress, fear, and negative thoughts. Amongst the many concerns are concerns about being in crowds, whether to get another vaccine booster, fears about the health of your family and how you will manage the future in the “new normal”.
Recent studies indicate a dramatic increase amongst those in the legal profession of impairment due to alcoholism, addiction and mental health disorders. These statistics, frightening and compelling, indicate that 1 out of 3 attorneys will likely turn to substance use or mental health services during their careers.
In light of this crisis and the scope of its impact, this timely CLE course will address:
- Mental health issues and the impact of the COVID crisis.
- Understanding the causes, symptoms and common warning signs of alcohol and substance use disorders, as well as mental health issues such as depression, stress and anxiety.
- Identifying the fear associated with the future of the legal industry and the uncertainty surrounding it
- Strategies to reduce or alleviate these conditions
- Tips to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
- The increased risk to legal professionals
- Challenges and barriers that legal professionals face when seeking help
- The importance of breaking the stigma associated with addiction and mental illness in the legal profession and how education can play a role
- Information about the free, confidential services provided by Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers of PA to lawyers, judges, their family members and law students.